Monday, June 25, 2007

The audacity of hope : thoughts on reclaiming the American dream

I checked out the Barack Obama book because I find him a little bit fascinating. I haven't heard him speak very much and I really don't know why he has so much buzz about him other than that he's young.

I'm ashamed that I sat on the book for about a month and never cracked the cover until the day it was due back at the library. I took it to work and managed to read nothing but the Introduction -- and that part was enough to make me want to read the rest of the book.

I've heard that his political views are pretty far to the left, and I generally am middle of the road leaning to the right, but I can't argue with what he says he wants to do in his introduction. I guess it's what everybody wants to do, it's just a matter of you actually get there. A quote:
"... another tradition to politics, a tradition that stretched from the days of
the country's founding to the glory of the civil rights movement, a tradition
based on the simple idea that we have a stake in one another, and that what
binds us together is greater than what drives us apart, and that if enough
people believe in the truth of that proposition and act on it, then we might not
solve every problem, but we can get something meaningful done." (Page 2)


That makes sense right? Idealistic, sure, but it makes enough sense that I should probably check the book out again and read it! (or at least skim it!)

No comments: